About Elska Seoul:
Our twenty-first Elska Magazine issue is our fourth to be made in Asia, where we chose the capital of South Korea for the honour. Seoul is an incredible city, fast-paced and full of trend-setting fashion, a slick music scene, and cutting edge technology. Yet it's also a city where such modernity does not extend to the society, which is conservative and guided by 'traditional' values. It is absolutely not the easiest place to be gay.
Inside this issue you'll get to know the real Seoul through the experiences of fourteen men from the LGBTQ community who we met during our visit. Each is photographed in a natural, documentary-like style in the city and in their homes, dressed in their own style or sometimes not dressed at all, revealing themselves fully for the readers' gaze. The honest style of imagery is then paired with personal stories written by each of the men, kept in their original voices and languages (followed by English translations).
Some of the men you'll meet in Elska Seoul include:
- Uin L, who details a trip to a traditional bathhouse (a jjimjilbang), told through a lens of uncertainty and self-consciousness;
- Jay S, who describes the moment when his mother confronts him with the accusation that he is gay;
- Ivan J, who recounts an afternoon of vegetable-aided masturbation set to the soundtrack of hymnal Bach;
- Heezy Y, who talks about the difficulties of finding success and happiness in a society so full of expectations and conformity;
- Jose S-M, who as one of a large number of foreigners living in Seoul reflects upon his seven years living in the city;
- James K, who speaks of his journey to reconcile how to be a Korean man in his way against the opposing standard of masculinity set by his father.
Features images of / stories from: Jay S, Uin L, Yoon J, Woo Yeah, Myeongjin K, Y.E.S., James K, Seungwook Y, Nahwan J, Ivan J, Eunho C, Heezy Y, Jose S-M, Jamin P.
Details and Specs:
Elska Seoul is 180 pages. The print version is A5 (24cm x 14.8cm / 5.8 x 8.3 in), full colour, perfect-bound, and on 130gsm (90lb) matte paper. One random Elska Collectors' Postcard is inserted inside.
Print version: Elska ships from Germany by standard Deutsche Post. All orders come delivered in discreet packaging. See our FAQ for more details.
E-version: A download link is provided after payment. The file format is PDF, which is universally viewable on iPads, non-Mac tablets, and all sorts of other devices.
Bundle: Includes the print and e-version of Elska Magazine + the e-version of Elska Ekstra. A download link is provided after payment and the print issue will ship within a few days. A very limited edition print version of Elska Ekstra will also be included while stocks last.